Oh yea, looks like I've been bitten by the DIY bug big time! Here is another makeover I did to the apartment. My tiny guest bathroom :)
This is the AFTER
... now brace yourselves for the BEFORE ;)
We dubbed it the "Blue Bathroom" when we moved in 12 years ago. Took me 12 years to figure out what to do with it. My main obstacle was the blue tiles. I didn't like it at all, but couldn't afford to hack it all down and retile the bathroom, so we just left it as is. And then I got to know that you can actually paint on tiles. So I did some research and found (to my disappointment) that we didn't carry specialize tile paint here. But I was so into it already, I had to find an alternative. And I did find one.
This is a 2 part epoxy paint for exterior surfaces. You get 4 liters of paint and 1 liter of hardener in the package. Mix the 2 together, and you get a durable, highly scratch resistant paint. And this was the savior! I love how the paint covered the tiles and it feels really good to the touch. Besides the wall, I also repainted the floor and even added stencil to it. This was an impromptu decision as I actually wanted to retile the floor when I had some extra cash. I gathered, retiling just the floor won't cost me a lot. But I needed a temporary fix to the blue tiles on the floor too while waiting. But after I did the stenciling, I fell totally in love with it!! I'm hoping now that it will last for a long time!
|A Moroccan tile design I found on the net, and made my own stencils|
|In love with it!|
After the walls and the floors, I DIY-ed a simply vanity out of pine wood and added galvanized pipes for the legs for an industrial touch.
I also decided on a stainless steel salad bowl for the sink.
I'm not going to lie, I did face some problems with the sink and the plumbing. Because the salad bowl had a relatively wide and flat base, after I installed it, I realised that the water would not drain properly. Also, the drain was a lip higher than the base of the bowl, as such I had pools of water in the bowl. After some thought, I decided my best solution was to raise the level of the base. So I got out some of my old Ice Resin and added it to the base. And since I was adding resin anyways, perhaps a few gears won't hurt ;)
And so, by the end of it all, I have solved my water drainage problem and added a Steampunk touch to my sink! Best outcome ever! And oh ... check out my homemade faucet which I was thrilled that it turned out so well :)
Here are some photos of other features that I have added.
|A light fixture also made of galvanized pipes|
|Dressed up the builder's grade door with moldings|
|A crude shelf out of pieces of RM5 kitchen utensil racks|
|A quote, image transferred to pieces of burned pine |
and a towel rack made from extra pipes
I am utterly delighted with the new look of our bathroom! No more blue tiles!!
|Love the way it turned out|
|Black shower curtains for drama|
|Vanity with the tungsten light on|
|A pano of my tiny bathroom|
|My favourite photo|
Let me leave you with 2 videos I made on the full process of the makeover :) Hope you'll enjoy it!!